Course Aim and Purpose
There is need to empower practitioners working in emergency and development areas on the fundamentals of WASH.
The Diploma in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) provides a detailed explanation of the principles of planning, designing and implementing activities that are aimed at improving sustainable and equitable access to domestic water supply, sanitation services and improve hygiene behaviours and practices.
The course is designed to empower you with an understanding of the fundamentals of water and sanitation project planning and implementation. It provides an opportunity for you to acquaint yourself to the core principles for planning, designing and implementing water and sanitation initiatives.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Describe the methods of water treatment at household and community levels.
- Design and construct different household water filtration method
- Assess the water supply and sanitation situation in a community, adopting a broad perspective including seasonal water fluctuations and multiple water use.
- Assist communities (water and sanitation committees) in establishing practical water and sanitation improvement plans at community level
- Initiate and plan a water, sanitation and hygiene project.
- Execute, monitor and control a water sanitation and hygiene project.
The Diploma in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) requires completion of the following course modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Module 2: Importance and Necessity for Planned Water Supplies
- Module 3: Hygiene and Environmental Health
- Module 4: Water Supply and Health
- Module 5: Sanitation and Hygiene
- Module 6: Water Quality Management
- Module 7: Water Treatment
- Module 8: Water Sampling and Laboratory Techniques
- Module 9: Types and Principles of Operation of Pumps
- Module 10: Water and Sanitation Construction
- Module 11: Water Supply Plumbing Systems In Building And Houses
- Module 12: Water and Sanitation Action Planning
- Module 13: Solid Waste Management
- Module 14: Project Management
Benefits of the Diploma in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Receive a Watsan Training Center Certificate and transcript.
- Learn how to apply knowledge and skills to your current or future work in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Management.
- An opportunity for individual mentoring and guidance from the Watsan Training and Development Center.
- The Watsan Training and Development Center will provide letters of recommendation upon request